Call for a Free Initial Consultation
Review Us
Creating Personalized Solutions We use our skill and experience to help each client secure the best available resolution to their situation.

Posts tagged "custodial parent"

Former TV star arrested for not paying child support

Darius McCrary, who played the role of Eddie Winslow on the 1990s hit television show Family Matters, was arrested recently in Michigan for failure to pay child support. The 38-year-old actor was arrested at the order of a judge during a court appearance by McCrary. The judge told the former TV star to either pay the child support owed or to go to jail.

What is my child support obligation if paternity is established?

Typically, the issue of paternity comes up in cases where an unmarried mother has given birth and is seeking child support from the father of the child, but is unsure of who may be the father or the man the mother claims to be the father disputes the claim. In such cases, a court will order a DNA test to determine paternity. Once paternity determinations have been made through DNA analysis, depending on the custody arrangement, the non-custodial parent will typically be required to pay child support.

What you should know about child support in Michigan

Though many parents with children hope for their separation or divorce to be as smooth and painless as possible, the reality is when substantial changes in one's circumstances occur such as a job loss or layoff, the parent obligated to pay child support may, due to no fault of their own, not be able to able to meet their court ordered monthly child support obligation.

Michigan county urges parents to pay child support

In any relationship child custody, child support and parenting time disputes between parents could arise at some point before the child emancipates. Every situation is different, but generally family courts apply the "best interest of the child" standard to determine which parent should get custody.

Warrant issued for man who owes nearly $100K in child support

Our Michigan residents are likely aware that regardless of where a parent chooses to reside in the U.S., if one is a presumptive father or if paternity has been established, the father will generally be required to pay child support to the mother if she is the custodial parent. However, in some cases, despite being ordered by a court to pay child support, some parents may fail to do so.

Michigan man arrested for child support arrears

According to the Minot Police, a 41-year-old man was arrested by authorities for having nearly $100,000 in child support arrears. Michigan residents will find it interesting to learn that the 41-year-old man was pulled over by the police for having an expired registration. Apparently as part of the traffic stop, the officer who pulled the man over conducted a warrant check to see if there were any active warrants.

Understanding the child support formula

Regardless of whether a couple was unmarried with children or divorced with children, at least one parent -- typically the non-custodial parent -- will be required to pay the custodial parent child support for the upbringing of their child. Generally, each state has its own child support guidelines which are routinely followed by the family court system to determine the non-custodial parent's monthly child support obligation.

Rapper resolves child support dispute before year's end

Around New Year's, most people aspire to close challenging chapters from the previous year and they look forward to opening new chapters in the next year. Particularly when it comes to child support issues, both parents may want to put aside their differences and work in the best interest of their child.

Online service may help reduce child support disputes

Regardless of how amicable a divorce or separation is, there are times when even the most cooperative parents disagree about a child-related expense. Disputes surrounding monthly child support payments, childcare and other everyday expenses can lead to endless and bitter disputes in courts. However, Michigan parents may find it helpful to know that a new online service called SupportPay may help parents who are feuding over child support payments and other expenses.

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465

The Smith Law Offices, P.C.
5885 N. Wayne
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-729-4465
Fax: 734-729-4498
Map & Directions