Michigan family law: Want to relocate with your kids?

Michigan family law: Want to relocate with your kids?

You are either in the process of getting divorced or you already have. You are either working out a custody arrangement or you already have one in place. Whether you are in the throes of divorce or you are already done, if you find that you need to relocate and want to take your children with you, getting approval to do so may not be as easy as you think. Michigan family law for child custody matters is written in a way that makes it very difficult for one parent to take the children and move too far from the other parent.

The need to relocate happens. People get new jobs, they require family support, they enter new relationships or they experience hardships. Life is unpredictable. There is nothing wrong with relocating, but when a joint custody arrangement is wanted or already on the table, how a relocation affects that matters.

If you want to relocate with your children and it would place you and your kids more than 100 miles from your ex, you need court approval. The court will want to know what changes to the custody arrangement you expect and how you would make sure that your ex would still get the time he or she deserves to have with the children. The court will want to know why you feel the move will serve the children’s best interests. In other words, you need a plan.

If you want to relocate with your kids, getting approval is possible, though not easy. Your ex has every right to fight your request for a custody modification. An experienced family law¬†attorney can help you make your case for relocation and present it in a Michigan court. To learn more about how an attorney can be of assistance to you as you figure out your child custody issues, please visit our firm’s website.

Recent Posts