Former Congressman seeks to reduce his child support payments

Former Congressman seeks to reduce his child support payments

In most marriages with children that end in divorce or relationships where a child is involved, the non-custodial parent must pay child support to the custodial parent to help the custodial parent raise the child. However, there are times when parents may not be able to make these child support payments in a timely manner due to a change in circumstance such as a loss of a job, loss of home or other financial woes.

Michigan residents will finding it interesting to learn that financial woes and child support issues are not confined to the common person and even our political leaders may find themselves in such situations. According to reports, former U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh filed a request in court to have his current child support payment reduced. Walsh lost his seat last fall. As result of this defeat, he notes that due to his employment being terminated, he does not have adequate income to make his monthly payment of nearly $2100. His ex-wife’s attorney reportedly claimed that he failed to pay last month’s child support payment.

The former congressman notes that he is not stopping his child payment but wants a reduction in payment due to the loss of his job. His ex-wife’s attorney notes that Walsh had knowledge nearly three months ago about his unemployment and should have planned better.

Michigan parents who have experienced a decrease in their incomes due to a loss of their job or other negative financial event should consider requesting a child support modification. In Michigan, child support is calculated based on state guidelines. These guidelines take into account the income of both parents and factor in other costs, such as expenses related to childcare and health care.

To avoid delinquent payments and other consequences of non-payment of child support, it is essential to consult with an expert in this area of law to know what one’s legal options are.

Source: Huffington Post, “Joe Walsh Child Support: Ex-Tea Party Rep Says He Can’t Afford Payments Post-Congress,” Feb. 12, 2013

Recent Posts