When families go through changes like divorce or separation, one of the most important things to think about is the kids. At The Smith Law Offices, P.C., we know how much you care about your children, and we’re here to help you understand child custody in Michigan.
Child custody is about who takes care of the children after parents split up. There are two main types of child custody:
- Physical Custody: Physical custody is about where the children live. The parent who has physical custody is the one the children stay with most of the time.
- Legal Custody: This involves making big decisions for the kids, like where they go to school, their health care, and their religious upbringing. Parents can share legal custody, meaning they make these decisions together.
In Michigan, the court’s main focus is on what’s best for the kids. Courts look at many things to decide this, such as:
- How much each parent is involved in the kids’ lives.
- The ability of each parent to provide a stable, loving home.
- The children’s needs, like their age and health.
- If the children are old enough, what their personal preferences are.
- Any history of violence or harm or abuse by a parent.
The goal is to create a situation that helps the children have a stable, happy life after the parents split up.
Yes, parents can and often do agree on custody without a judge deciding for them.
This is usually done through negotiation or mediation. It’s often easier on the kids when parents can agree on these things without a big fight in court.
If parents can’t agree, then a court will decide. The judge will look at all the factors we mentioned to figure out what’s in the best interest of the children.
This process can be tough, and it’s helpful to have someone who knows the law to guide you.
Our team understands how important your kids are to you. We’re here to:
- Listen to Your Story: Every family is different. We want to hear about your situation and what you want for your kids.
- Explain the Law: We’ll tell you how the law works in a way that’s easy to understand so you know what to expect.
- Guide You Through the Process: Whether it’s helping with paperwork, representing you in court, or just answering your questions, we’re here for you.
Dealing with child custody is hard. It’s normal to feel worried or upset. But remember, you don’t have to go through this alone.
The Smith Law Offices, P.C. is here to support you and help you do what’s best for your children. If you have questions or need help with a child custody issue, please reach out to us.