Call for a Free Initial Consultation
Review Us
Creating Personalized Solutions We use our skill and experience to help each client secure the best available resolution to their situation.

September 2015 Archives

Michigan children involved in custody dispute now living with dad

Last month, a Michigan child custody dispute made international headlines when the judge presiding over the case sent the three minor children involved to juvenile detention for refusing to have lunch with their father. Our Michigan residents may find it interesting to learn that this high-conflict child custody dispute that involved three children aged nine, 11 and 14 has for the most part resolved, and they are now living with their father.

Can I be criminally charged for failing to pay child support?

An individual who fails to pay child support can face prosecution by the state and be ordered to pay heavy fines, as well as face time behind bars. In fact, this family law issue can change into a criminal matter that can be punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of up to $2000.

Can child custody be modified while a parent is deployed?

Under the current Michigan law, pursuant to the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act, if a parent files a motion to change child custody while the other parent is deployed, then the Michigan court should consider staying the motion. It is very important to understand that the length of the parent's deployment must not be used to make a best interest of the child determination. Similarly, any future deployments cannot be taken into consideration either

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465
5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465

South Lyon Office
214 S. Lafayette
South Lyon, MI 48178

Map & Directions

Westland Office
5885 N. Wayne
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-729-4465
Fax: 734-729-4498
Map & Directions