Call for a Free Initial Consultation
Review Us
Creating Personalized Solutions We use our skill and experience to help each client secure the best available resolution to their situation.

May 2014 Archives

Is it possible for a sperm donor to have parental rights?

With today's advances in reproductive technologies, in-vitro fertilization is no longer futuristic. Michigan residents may find it fascinating to learn that many parents who are unable to conceive a child through natural means can now have a biological child through in-vitro fertilization. Science surrounding such options for people has tremendously progressed. However, the legal ramifications of such technologies on parental rights, custody, support and more is still very new.

Financial considerations for divorcing couples

For many divorcing couples the most complex issues the parties will likely deal with will revolve around property division and assets. Our Michigan readers may find it helpful to learn the stress and complexity which surrounds financial decisions during a divorce can be eased if the parties consider the following before an impending separation.

Michigan county urges parents to pay child support

In any relationship child custody, child support and parenting time disputes between parents could arise at some point before the child emancipates. Every situation is different, but generally family courts apply the "best interest of the child" standard to determine which parent should get custody.

Does medical illness play a role in couples seeking divorce?

Most Michigan residents likely know a family member or friend who is divorced. In fact, most people are far too familiar with the statistic that estimates that approximately fifty percent of all marriages end in divorce. Divorce can happen anytime to anyone regardless of age, sex or creed.

Warrant issued for man who owes nearly $100K in child support

Our Michigan residents are likely aware that regardless of where a parent chooses to reside in the U.S., if one is a presumptive father or if paternity has been established, the father will generally be required to pay child support to the mother if she is the custodial parent. However, in some cases, despite being ordered by a court to pay child support, some parents may fail to do so.

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465
5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465

South Lyon Office
214 S. Lafayette
South Lyon, MI 48178

Map & Directions

Westland Office
5885 N. Wayne
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-729-4465
Fax: 734-729-4498
Map & Directions