Call for a Free Initial Consultation
Review Us
Creating Personalized Solutions We use our skill and experience to help each client secure the best available resolution to their situation.

August 2012 Archives

Tom Cruise to pay $400K per year in child support

Despite differences that lead to a divorce, during the divorce process both sides have to determine how to divide any property, assets and debts they may have. The divorce can get even more complicated when children are involved and additional issues of child custody, spousal support and child support have to be carefully addressed.

The potential pitfall of asset division in a divorce

In a society where most long for human interaction, companionship and contact, marriage seems like a good option to flourish, grow together and to foster a harmonious relationship. But, marital bliss is not always possible and differences can occur resulting in divorce. Consequently, divorcing parties face challenges with, if any, children, support, visitation and division of property and assets.

Implications of a name change due to divorce

A person's name is their identity. It defines the fabric of their being and lineage. Occasionally, a name change is warranted as a result of a divorce. It is a life-changing event for all involved. Adjustments are necessary to lifestyle, expenses must be re-evaluated and those interested in changing their name after a divorce should be aware that there are tax implications of doing so.

Is being poor a defense for an inability to pay child support?

In today's hard economic times many are facing challenges such as foreclosure, insurmountable debt, layoff and an inability to find gainful employment. Nevertheless, regardless of their circumstance, non-custodial parents are required by law to pay child support on a monthly basis. Economic dynamics have changed but laws which govern child support payments have not.

Child support payments enforced against former NFL player

Michigan residents probably know that a divorce involving children can be difficult. Once the process is finalized or paternity is established, the non-custodial parent is required under the law to pay child support to help the other parent financially with the upbringing of the child. When payments abruptly stop or the non-custodial parent refuses to pay pursuant to the court order, the other parent can file for enforcement of child support. Failure to pay can result in jail time for the non-custodial parent.

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465
5885 N. Wayne RD | The | Smith | Law Offices, P.C. | 734.729.4465

South Lyon Office
214 S. Lafayette
South Lyon, MI 48178

Map & Directions

Westland Office
5885 N. Wayne
Westland, MI 48185

Phone: 734-729-4465
Fax: 734-729-4498
Map & Directions